3 things I'd tell younger me | friendships, school, life | courtneyleighblogs

So lately, I feel like I've come to terms with where my life's going (which may I add, isn't anywhere exciting atm), who I have in my life and what I want to do with my life. So I thought what better way to take it all in than to write a post expressing what I would tell younger me if I had the chance. Enjoy!



#1 - Not everyone is your friend

- Just recently I've found myself realising that the 'friends' I thought were my closest friends, were only really my friends because I had to see them 5 days out of the 7. Don't get me wrong, some of the friendships I had, have made me more or less the person I am today and for that I am grateful, just as I am grateful for the memories we shared however, growing up and leaving school has made me realise just how 'childlike' the friendships actually were. There was always such a massive cliche at my school in who was the 'popular' kids and who were the not so 'cool' and quiet kids. I don't think I ever fit into either of those groups. I mean I had friends from both sides of the spectrum, I wouldn't say I was ever really great friends with some of the 'in' kids however I wouldn't say I ever looked down on the quieter ones. 

I've come to realise lately that if a friendship with a person or even in a group leaves you feeling worthless or unhappy about yourself or about something you've chose to do in your life. It is okay to leave that group or person. If you're doing something in your life that makes you happy and they don't agree or approve, that's okay too. Everyone will have a different opinion and outlook on something, but as long as said thing makes you happy that's all that matters; and if said person(s) can't be happy for you and respect your decision, are they really a friend?

#2 - Grades are important

- In school I was always the idiot in the class talking or not paying attention to what was going on. I'm sure 90% of my parents evening meetings went along the lines of "Courtney is such a capable girl when she puts her mind to it. If Courtney worked as hard as she chatted she would be an A* student". I always listened to older people when they said grades didn't matter, you'd still get a career if you wanted to etc, which in a way is true. However, nowadays it's a lot harder without those grades. If I had the chance to go back to school now, I don't think I ever would purely because I hated school. The learning part I didn't hate, I think it was more the social side I didn't like. I was a sociable kid, I spoke to people, I had friends etc I just don't think I was ever really confident in myself which is what I hated about it. I was always nervous / on edge. But if I could tell younger me then to focus, revise and just pay attention in my lessons I definitely would. I'm 19 years old now, pushing 20 and currently in a retail job that I wouldn't say was my favourite place to be. I really want to go back to college and pick up a course that I actually want to be involved with as a career.

#3 - Everything's going to work out

- This was always a phrase I would hear people say or ' If it's not okay, it's not the end'. Back then, in my last couple of years of high school I used to laugh whenever I heard that phrase because I couldn't ever imagine a different life from what I was living. Leaving school / sixth form was probably one of the best things that could've happened. I've grown so much as a person I think personally, I've become a lot more confident in myself and in stuff I was always so worried about, I've learned to love things I never really cared about in myself or in things I didn't even think for. I've lost friends along the way, but I've also gained the most precious friends and boyfriend. Losing friends is a part of growing up and I've come to realise that it's okay for that to happen. The friends I have now and my boyfriend are mainly the reason I don't dread waking up every morning and facing the world. The friends I have now actually make an effort to check up on me, to ask me about my day, to listen if I have a worry. I've come to realise that that's more of what a friendship is than just going places together and doing things.

Everyone has down days, or a down week and that's okay. As long as you don't drag it out to be a bad month or bad year. If something's not making you happy, change it. You're the only person putting a barrier in front of yourself. If you want that job, go for it. If you want to change courses, do it. That friend making you feel worse about yourself than better? Leave them. This was all stuff I wish I had listened to back then and believe me, once you do it, you're a lot happier. It's hard losing people, but if they don't bring anything positive to your life what's the point?


This was a long post, but I feel like with it all written out, everything comes in to perspective. I've had a good few years recently, but I'm determined to make 2017 an even better year. If you have anything you would tell your younger self back then, what would it be? why? Let me know, I'm so interested in what your thoughts are.


Thanks for reading this post, I hope you enjoyed it!





Twitter
Instagram
Blog instagram
Bloglovin'

22 comments

  1. I liked this. It's so honest, and I experienced similar things to you during high school. The social side of high school was quite horrible as everyone was so judgemental towards others, so I understand where you're coming from, there. Like you, I had to leave a lot of my friends behind because I also realised that they weren't good for me - I'm glad that you recognised the same thing and found others who care for you! These are some hard lessons to learn, mostly because you don't really think about them, or you don't know they're true until things happen that make you realise. As for lessons I would have told myself: I would've said that what others say about you isn't the truth. If people say horrible things then it's hard to believe that they're lies. I'm sure we've had this at some point, and it's such a shame. Thank you for sharing!

    -Alicia xx


    www.serenitylifeblog.com | Lifestyle & Advice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it's a little different to what I would normally post but I felt like it needed to be said. EVERYONE in my school was judgmental, you couldn't do anything without people having their say on it. Aw I'm sorry you had to leave behind friends but I'm glad you realised sooner rather than later. I think once you take a step back these lessons become a lot clearer! That's what happened for me. Definitely something I wish I could've told myself as well. Thank you for your comment.

      Courtney xx

      Delete
  2. Number 01 is so true! Friendships is definitely something I struggle with, especially when combined with school and all that other stress! <33
    Morgan // www.justmorgs.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like when I left sixth form I realised who my true friends were! I hope you find yours sooner or later! thank you for commenting

      Courtney x

      Delete
  3. I loved this post, and your 3 things are so true and I think every younger self needs to hear it :) if I could tell my younger self one thing, it'll be not to be so hard on yourself. Things workout in mysterious ways and over-worrying and stressing isn't worth it. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not being so hard on myself would definitely be something I would've told myself too! Whats meant to be will happen! Thank you for your comment x

      Delete
  4. I completely feel you on the first one! Not everybody is your friend! I wish I knew that when I was 14. I would have avoided so much disappointment. Grades are also important and I understood quite late as well. Hope you'll get into college :) xx C&K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like that relates to everyone some point in their life! Just took me a little longer to realise unfortunately. Hope everything works out for you! thank you for your comment

      courtney x

      Delete
  5. The three most important things ever! I would definitely tell my younger self these. I agree with everything you've said, especially about things eventually going to work out because it will and it just takes time. loved this post so much! x

    sami | possiblysami.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like these were the three main things that stood out for me.. Thank you & thank you for your comment!

      Courtney x

      Delete
  6. Very important lessons to learn. Not everyone wants to see you succeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely not! Everyone wants to be there for the success and gone for the bad times.

      Delete
  7. Because of the fact that I'm only 15 this isn't too relatable to me, yet I love that I can take this as an advice so 19 year old me won't feel the same way about what is going on now. This is such an insightful and positive post and I really enjoyed it! I'll sure take the advice!

    xx Solange | creativepineapples.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad someone from the other side of the age spectrum has read this and has something they can keep in their mind! I hope you don't realise everything a little late like I did, but it's never too late! Thank you for the comment!

      Courtney x

      Delete
  8. Loved this, wish I could of told my younger self these!
    Great post.

    Love, Melissa X
    lovemelissax.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you taking the time to read!

      Courtney x

      Delete
  9. I can totally relate to this, especially the part about friends. I don't see any of my old school friends, because once I started Uni I realised how self absorbed they were, and how unsupportive of me they were despite me supporting them with every venture. It's true that the older you get, the more aware you become about people's true intentions. Great post x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh definitely the same with me! I speak to next to no one from school now and I couldn't be happier now! Thank you for your comment x

      Delete
  10. We sound quite difference based on the grades comment!
    Even in yr 7 I'd give myself sleepless nights because I was so paranoid and worried about the upcoming tests, if anything I'd go back in time and say to myself it's not the end of a world if you get a B in yr7!
    Loved the post though, great theme xxx

    The Frugal Teen | http://thefrugalteen.wixsite.com/thefrugalteen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh really, it's cool that someone who thinks a little different to me. I think I think so highly of grades because I know I didn't put 100% in to revising for them so I know I could've done better..

      Thank you for your comment

      courtney x

      Delete
  11. Totally agree with number one, I've been realising who are my true friends during college, since my school friends and I all went different ways with classes. Lovely post xx

    Sophie's Spot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly what happened with me when I left sixth form! You'll see shows worth the effort!
      Thank you xx

      Delete